Your First Visit
Your first visit is spent assessing your current oral health. If you have been visiting another dentist who has already generated x-rays and reports, it would be helpful if you brought those to your first appointment. If you would rather us call and get your records, please let us know so we have them prior to your first appointment.
For a new patient exam and cleaning, we need about an hour and a half; however, if you have not seen a dentist in a long while it may take longer.
- First, you will meet Dr. Shannon and talk about your concerns.
- He will have his assistant Carole take a series of digital x-rays to check for cavities as well as bone loss and other issues.
- Dr. Shannon will use these x-rays to do a comprehensive dental exam that includes charting of all your existing dental work.
- He wants to know and understand the history of your mouth.
- He will note any new issues such as cavities, broken teeth, and any other concerns.
- He will also do a head and neck oral cancer exam.
Once Dr. Shannon has completed his initial assessment, you will meet Niki our hygienist. Niki will scale your teeth, polish them and provide a fluoride treatment. She will chart any gum recession and conduct dental probing which evaluate bone loss.
A second visit to Niki may be necessary in some cases if it has been a long time since you have had hygiene and you have a lot of tarter built up on your teeth.
You can request an appointment or a consultation with Dr. Shannon.
For your convenience, we have our New Patient Form available as a PDF document so that you can fill in your history prior to your first visit.
We also have a New Patient Welcome sheet, which outlines our policies.
“You never get a second chance to make a first impression.” – W. Triesthof