Dental Inlays From Your Dentists in Vancouver, BC
Dental inlays are used to treat teeth that have decay or damage lying within their indented top surfaces. They can also be used to replace old or damaged metal fillings. Inlay placement is usually carried out over two appointments. Since dental inlays are made from durable materials like tooth-colored porcelain, they offer much more enduring and natural-looking results than gold inlays or metal fillings. In addition, their customized nature allows us to securely bond them to the tooth surface, adding structural integrity and preventing bacteria from entering and forming cavities.
- We begin the procedure by numbing the area using a local anesthetic.
- The decay or damage is removed using a drill, preparing the tooth for its new surface.
- An impression is made of the prepared tooth so the inlay material can be cast in a form that will fit the tooth exactly.
- A temporary restoration is placed on the tooth to protect it until the laboratory makes the new structure and it can be bonded to the tooth. This can take about ten days.
Second Appointment (After 10 Days)
- The temporary restoration is removed and the surface is cleaned to prepare for the new structure.
- Try the new restoration to ensure that there is a correct fit that doesn’t interfere with your bite.
- If the fit is good, using special cement or bonding, the inlay is permanently attached to the tooth. Some minor adjustment may need to be made to the restoration if there are interferences.
- To finish the procedure, we polish the cemented or bonded structure and tooth.
“Start every day off with a smile and get it over with.” – WC Fields